april blog header

Monday, November 23, 2009

How to make a Dollar Store Journal

In order to improve my son’s creative writing, we decided that we are going to write in a journal each night.  This can be anything!  A simple story.  A few lines about his day.  A cartoon drawing with some simple conversation.  Anything to get him writing more.  I thought it would be a good idea to create my own journal and write along with him.  So I created this one for him.  I simply bought a composition notebook at the dollar store, traced the front, cut out the paper, glued it on, glued on some ribbon and a mailing tag.

DSC_0875

The other day I was at the dollar store and found this red, faux leather place mat.  I had no idea what I was going to do with it but I knew I wanted it.  :)  I ended up using it as a cover for a journal, check it out!  :)

DSC_0881

What you will need:

composition notebook

place mat

strong glue  (or waxed thread, I used glue because I was lazy)

Velcro

Rip the cover off of your notebook and throw it in the recycle bin.  Place your notebook on the backside of the place mat.  Measure the place mat to where you want your cover to end, draw your line, cut off the excess.  I just kept mine just under half an inch on each end.DSC_0876

With your notebook on the place mat, line up where the spine of it should be on the middle of the mat.  Using a ruler, draw a line vertically down the mat, this is going to be your guide for your glue.    (If you want to sew it instead, use waxed thread, open the journal to the middle and stitch through the original binding holes, depending on how thick the material you are using is, you  might want to pre poke the holes with an awl first.)

DSC_0877

Run a strip of glue down the line, place the notebook back in place, close the cover tightly, place something heavy on the book to help set the glue.

DSC_0878

Next I took the scraps and made a closure for my journal. 

DSC_0879

I cut a one inch piece of Velcro and glued it to the cover (or stitch it if you are sewing it), and the opposite end to the inside of the strap end.  If you have a sewing machine, it would probably be a good idea to sew it on if you will be opening and closing it a lot.  Better for wear.  ;)  I lined up the strap and glued it to the back of the journal.  I just made a little mark with a pencil on the inside so I knew how to line it up.  Wait 24 hours or so for the glue to dry completely before using.

DSC_0880

Voila!  All done.   

DSC_0882

I already had the glue on hand and the Velcro, so the total project cost me $2.  :)  Hope you like it!  If you make one yourself, link me up.  I would love to see it!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Your blog post will be advertised on the DigiFree Tutorials search engine today (look for timestamp: 19 Dec [LA 02:29pm, NY 05:29pm, UK 10:29pm] - 20 Dec [OZ 09:29am]).