april blog header

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

How to make a Feather Headband!

This morning I woke up wanting to make something pretty, so I did!  :)  I have never done this before and there very well be better ways to do it, but this is how I did it!  Hope you enjoy it.

DSC_0862

What you will need:

Feathers

Glue

Headband

Felt

Button

DSC_0852

The first thing I did was cut a thin tear drop shape out of the felt.  Not long, just a wee bit shorter than what you want the feathers to extend over your head really.

DSC_0853

Then I picked out what feathers I wanted to use and played with them until I got an idea of what I liked.  Then I started to glue them on.  I started at the tip of my felt piece so that the ends of the feathers would be hidden as I went.  Make sure you place the feathers down!  You dont want the tips poking out.  :)

DSC_0855

DSC_0856

I decided I wanted another brown feather on top after I took this but you get the idea.

This is my back….

DSC_0857

Just be careful with the glue, you dont want to use too much or it will make a mess of the feathers.  Clean up the back of the felt, just pulling gently on the glue and tiny feather bits.  I than trimmed a little of the excess felt that was showing on the front.  Then I just found a matching button and glued it on the button to hide the end of the feathers.

DSC_0860

Next put your headband on and decide where you want the feathers.  You can mark it with a piece of chalk if you like.

DSC_0861

Simply run a line of glue up the center of the felt and attach it to the band.  Wait for it to dry for a little while before wearing.  After I did that, I added small dabs of glue here and there to make the feathers lay flatter against my head.  Hope you like it! :)

1 comment:

Linda@CraftaholicsAnonymous said...

Gorgeous headband!

Thanks for the awesome tip! I'll have to try it next time I pull out the glue gun.

Happy Holidays,
Linda