april blog header

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

WHAT!? You want ANOTHER tutorial? Ok, fine. If you MUST have one.

Three days in a row!  Wow, look at me go!  :)  The other day I was in cleaning up around Connor's desk and I so annoyed by the mess of cartons with art supplies in them.  He had THREE little boxes filled with stuff and there is just no need.  However, last week I went through my cupboard and recycled all my old storage containers so I had nothing.  Or so I thought I had nothing!  :)  There was the tin can I had used for Connor's Christmas cookies that would just go to waste.  I buy a new one every year because I forget the old one is still here.  Always.  It's only a buck, right?  ;)

Really easy, really cheap, really quick, really cute.  Cant ask for more then that now can we?

TC01

First grab your old tin and give it a quick sanding so that the paint will hold.  I just used a medium grit paper.  Nothing fancy.  Remember the HOURS of sanding they use to make us do in Industrial Arts class in school?  None of that!  Just a few quick scruffs will work.

TC02

I wanted a decorative cover for my can so I just grabbed a piece of scrapbooking paper I had on hand.  Place the lid of the can on the paper and simply trace it, cut it out and put it aside for later.

TC03

Now we give it a quick wipe to remove all of the dust and we are set to paint.  Unless you are painting the can the same color or its a white can, I would HIGHLY suggest priming the can first so you do not have to use 5 coats of paint.  I just grabbed my Gesso and threw on one coat.

TC04

I then gave it two coats of a cheery blue that matches Connor's Spiderman themed room.

TC05

Using some Mod Podge I brushed the top of the can and smoothed on the paper making sure there were no air bubbles.  Let it sit for a few minutes to dry.  You do not have to but I like to rough things up a bit so I sanded the edges of my paper to give it a worn look.  If you do this make sure to wipe the lid again to remove dust.  Last step, simple apply some Mod Podge all over to seal your design.  I used Matte but you could use Glossy if you wanted more shine.  :)  Since this one a boy themed can I left it at that.  However, you can GO NUTS with decorations if you want.  Throw on some rickrack, some flowers. punch some wholes for brads or to loop ribbon around the edge.  TC06

Before I go I need to catch up on showing off my 365 pictures.  I still havent missed a day which really excites me.  I might be able to pull it off after all.

Day 31

We had quinoa for the first time.  I dont think we cooked it perfectly but it still tasted good. 

Day 31

Day 32

It was snowing a bit.

Day 32

Day 33

It was a beautiful Friday afternoon so we thought we would take a walk to town and jump a bus into the city.  Connor had to roll ALL THE WAY down this hill and kept yelling, "Mommy, take more pictures."  From the top to the bottom, I have lots of photos.  You cant tell but that island is surrounded by water.  Connor asked if he could cross the brook and I yelled that he could NEVER cross the brook when it is frozen.  I am 28yrs old and just this winter confessed to my parents that I used to cross it when I was young.  Not a bright idea...thankfully nothing ever happened though.

Day 33

Day 34

Sean is working on Saturday so we celebrated Valentine's Day a week early.  I went to town and got my hair done before our hot date.  ;)

Day 34

Day 35

This is not wine.  I am trying to avoid alcohol these days.  :)  So this is a clean cocktail.  Its simple no sugar added cranberry juice mixed with carbonated water and a splash of lime.  Very yummy.

Day 35

Day 36

We also had a clean supper last night that Connor LOVED!  May be tomorrow I will post some recipes we have been experimenting with lately.  Some have been ho-hum but some have been great.

Day 36

Long post today.  Hope everyone is having a great week so far.  Thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

amson said...

Amy I am definitely coming to visit you one winter. Sitting in the heat here we are mesmerised by the winter scenes. My girls have never seen snow like this.....