april blog header

Tuesday, March 6, 2007

An Evening with Chantal.

Last night my friend Jason and I went to the Chantal Kreviazuk concert at the Savoy. I am SO glad that we ended up going. I had such a fantastic time while we were there. Chantal was there all alone and she was in a very chatty mood. She had us roaring with all of her quirkiness. She told us stories of different places she has played from Tokoya to Vegas, each story with its own interesting spin. *ding ding bloop bing bing* When I showed up, sitting anxiously waiting her arrival on the stage, I was not expecting to be entertained with her comical rants but with her music. Well, there was absolutely NO disappointment there. When she began to sing the her first note, the whole theatre silenced as we were overcome by the power and emotion in her voice. She was so dramatic and you knew by watching her that she truly loved where she was in that moment. I was truly captured by her, all of her, her voice, her music, her stories. I think I fell in love last night. I always truly enjoyed her music, I even own a CD or two but last night's performance has turned me into a true fan. I was in awe. My favorite part of the whole evening was when she explained to us the meaning behind her song "Ghosts of You." She explained that the song was written for her cousin, who she saw as a sister, who had died seven years ago. It was the anniversary of her death and so the song had an even more special place in her heart as she sang it. She requested that no one come or go during the song and the whole theatre was quiet. As she began to sing with such emotion it sent chills through me. I was literally on the edge of my seat just listening to every word that flowed from her. I sat there with my camera in hand but I hardly took any photos. I was too busy enjoying myself, that and I was afraid she might have yelled at me. She certainly has a strong personality to go with her strong vocals but that just makes me admire her more. She is strong, she is talented, beautiful, quirky, entertaining and a loving mother and wife. She is a woman that I am proud to say that I spent an evening with, even if it was from 100 feet away.

Chantal Kreviazuk

For more pics from the concert please visit my Flickr site.

No comments: